Exploring Sault Ste. Marie: Things to Do and See
Sault Ste. Marie, often referred to as “the Soo,” is a charming city located in both Ontario, Canada, and Michigan, USA, divided by the St. Marys River. It’s a region rich in history, natural beauty, and cultural attractions. Here are some of the things you can do and see in Sault Ste. Marie:
1. Visit the Soo Locks:
The Soo Locks are a must-visit attraction. Watch the massive freighters as they navigate the locks, raising and lowering to pass between Lake Superior and Lake Huron. The Visitor Center provides information about the locks’ history and operations.
2. Take a Boat Tour:
Consider taking a boat tour of the St. Marys River to get a close-up view of the locks, freighters, and the scenic beauty of the area.
3. Explore Whitefish Island:
Whitefish Island is a peaceful natural area within the city limits. It offers walking trails and the opportunity to learn about the indigenous history of the area.
4. Discover the Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre:
This museum showcases the history of bushplanes and their importance in northern Canada. Interactive exhibits and real aircraft are on display.
5. Experience the Ermatinger Clergue National Historic Site:
Explore historic homes and buildings, including the Ermatinger Old Stone House, which dates back to the early 19th century. Learn about the fur trade and the area’s history.
6. Stroll along the Boardwalk:
Take a leisurely walk along the scenic boardwalk by the river, providing great views of the locks and the passing ships.
7. Visit the Sault Ste. Marie Museum:
Learn about the history and culture of the region through exhibits, artifacts, and engaging displays.
8. Hike or Bike the Hub Trail:
The Hub Trail is a network of multi-use trails that wind through the city and its surrounding natural areas, making it perfect for hiking or biking.
9. Explore the Algoma Central Railway:
Ride the scenic Agawa Canyon Tour Train, which takes you through the beautiful Agawa Canyon Wilderness Park.
10. Try Your Luck at the Casino:
– Visit the OLG Casino Sault Ste. Marie for gaming, dining, and entertainment.
11. Enjoy Outdoor Recreation:
– The Sault Ste. Marie area is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts. You can go hiking, fishing, kayaking, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, and more, depending on the season.
12. Attend Local Events:
– Check the local events calendar for festivals, concerts, and cultural events happening during your visit.
13. Visit Parks and Natural Areas:
– The city offers a range of parks and natural areas, such as Bellevue Park, Roberta Bondar Park, and Hiawatha Highlands for outdoor relaxation.
14. Learn About Indigenous Culture:
– The Sault Ste. Marie area has a rich indigenous heritage. Explore art galleries, cultural centers, and events that celebrate and educate about indigenous culture.
15. Taste Local Cuisine:
– Sault Ste. Marie has a variety of dining options featuring regional dishes and fresh seafood.
16. Go Fishing:
– The region is known for excellent fishing opportunities, particularly for trout and salmon in Lake Superior and Lake Huron.
Whether you’re interested in history, nature, or outdoor adventure, Sault Ste. Marie has something for everyone to enjoy. It’s a delightful destination with a unique blend of Canadian and American influences and a gateway to the stunning landscapes of northern Ontario and Michigan.